Josh and I went to my first OB appointment today. We love Dr. Nelson!!! She is awesome!! POSSIBLY as good as Dr. Shoemaker, the OB I had with Emily, and that is a high, high, HIGH compliment!!
The appointment went well, but we would like ya'll to keep us in your prayers.
They did an ultrasound, and could not see the gestational sac, but Dr. Nelson believes it is because it is too early--- she thinks I am only four weeks pregnant, instead of five. Next Monday, she will see me again and do another ultrasound, in which she expects to see the gestational sac. In the meantime, she has me getting quantitative HCG tests (I had one today, and will have one Wednesday and one Friday). This is to rule out an ectopic pregnancy. She DOES NOT think that is the case, but said until she can see a pregnancy (the sac) in my uterus to rule an ectopic pregnancy out, she has to assume it could be.
This, of course, makes us a little nervous, but we are trusting God and really believe everything is going to be fine!
On a side note, she has labeled me a high-risk pregnancy, due to my miscarriages, heart problem, and the fact that Emily was born with the heart problem. She is going to have me followed by a Cardiologist, and is planning to send me to a specialist when I am around 24 weeks to have them do an echocardiogram on the baby (what they considered doing when I was pregnant with Emily). She is also going to put me on progesterone treatments, because they have found 10-15% of miscarriages happen because the mother's progesterone level dips low and her body thinks it no longer needs to sustain a pregnancy--- so at least we can try to head off that possible risk!
On the way home, Josh and I were talking about them not being able to see the sac yet, and we both said, "That's probably why doctors don't normally have you come in so early; that way you don't get all freaked out!" However, we had asked to come in as soon as possible because of my previous miscarriages, and we still think it was a good idea, since Dr. Nelson wants me to do the progesterone treatments (which two other OBs had told me about and recommended after my last miscarriage).
So, there you have it: a wordy update! :) Please just keep us in your prayers--- we are excited!!
Monday, February 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment